Scientific Software Engineer
Tracking Code 6379
Scientific Software Engineer
About The Jackson Laboratory for Genomic Medicine: Comprising 183,000 square feet of highly advanced, state-of-the-art laboratories and supporting facilities, JAX-GM is conveniently located midway between NYC and Boston in the heart of Connecticut's growing bioscience industry. Our mission at JAX-GM is to discover the complex causes of disease, develop diagnostics and therapeutics, and ultimately empower the global medical community.
JAX-GM is part of an exciting, internationally-recognized research and educational institution with unparalleled genomic resources and research support services. Seeking to advance personalized medicine, we draw on the institution's distinguished history and on the innovative expertise of our growing faculty, who are recruited from among the world's top scientific labs and institutions.
About the position: An Associate/Full/senior scientific software engineer position is available immediately at The Jackson Laboratory for Genomic Medicine in Farmington, CT. This position reports to the Associate Director of Jackson's Computational Sciences Scientific Computing (CSSC) team that is primarily responsible for developing software applications for scientific research programs. The individual in this position is responsible for developing software applications and systems to support genetics and genomics research at The Jackson Laboratory including but not limited to web-based technologies and systems. A senior level candidate will lead development of complex projects, from high-level requirements, involving teams that may include other software developers, bioinformatics analysts, statisticians and scientists.
The ideal candidate for this position has BS or higher degree in computer science or bioinformatics and/or significant related job experience in the biomedical field or bioinformatics. Experience in identifying and developing software applications in the biomedical sciences and/or bioinformatics and implementing systems for analyzing large-scale scientific data e.g. Next Generation Sequencing data (NGS) is preferred. Experience with data exploration and visualization is a plus.
This individual will function as part of a highly productive software team and will work closely with researchers across all three campuses to develop tools to aid them in their research. A senior level incumbent will also be expected to mentor junior software engineers. This individual should have a strong interest in leading-edge technologies, and finding ways to apply these technologies to solve cutting-edge scientific problems. They will regularly track the bioinformatics applications literature, and adapt relevant applications to bioinformatics environment at JAX.
The qualified candidate will have working knowledge with most of the following:
- 3-10 years of experience is software development
- Development environment: Linux, Mac OS X, Windows.
- Web: jQuery, Bootstrap, Flask, Grails, reactive frameworks (ReactJS, VueJS, etc)
- Database: PostgreSQL, MySQL, noSQL
- Testing: Unittest, Doctest, py.test, xUnit, Spock
- Tools: Git, IntelliJ IDE products (PyCharm, Idea), build tools, Atlassian Suite
- Capable of working in an agile development environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills required
- Knowledge in statistics, biology, genomics are considered a plus
- Knowledge of machine learning, image analysis, big data processing, and cloud environments a plus
- Ability to identify new bioinformatics applications and lead the development of the same.
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS: Please include a cover letter along with your resume/CV. Applications without cover letters will not be considered.
MORE ABOUT JAX
JAX began in 1929 with a small group of scientists dedicated to the emerging field of genetics. We now have over 1,700 scientists, technicians, and support staff, including over 50 Principle Investigators in five primary disease areas: cancer, reproductive biology, immunology, metabolic processes and neuroscience. Our fundamental contributions to biomedical research include cancer genetics and establishing the mouse as the premier research animal model.
- Uncover more of our historic milestones, including the 26 Nobel prizes associated with our research, resources, and education
- Read our latest news & insights for a glimpse at how we're impacting the future of biomedicine
- Follow the progress we're making on our quest to improve human health via our recent research highlights
EEO: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.Company Description Leading the search for tomorrow's cures. Learn