Systems Analyst - Clinical Genomics
Tracking Code 6439
Systems Analyst - Clinical Genomics
About The Jackson Laboratory for Genomic Medicine: Comprising 183,000 square feet of highly advanced, state-of-the-art laboratories and supporting facilities, JAX-GM is conveniently located midway between NYC and Boston in the heart of Connecticut's growing bioscience industry. Our mission at JAX-GM is to discover the complex causes of disease, develop diagnostics and therapeutics, and ultimately empower the global medical community.
JAX-GM is part of an exciting, internationally-recognized research and educational institution with unparalleled genomic resources and research support services. Seeking to advance personalized medicine, we draw on the institution's distinguished history and on the innovative expertise of our growing faculty, who are recruited from among the world's top scientific labs and institutions.
About the position: Are you a motivated Systems Analyst who craves the excitement of a start-up company, coupled with the resources and support of an established and well-respected organization? At JAX-GM, our information technology is as exciting and progressive as our cutting-edge science; join our team to help plan, design, and launch efficient systems in support of scientific research functions and processes in the area of Clinical Genomics.
The Systems Analyst will work with our computational scientists, system administrators, and other Research IT staff to create effective systems supporting scientific research in Clinical Genomics. This includes gathering and analyzing data and documenting business processes and requirements, and applying proven communication, analytical, and problem-solving skills to help maximize the benefit of Research IT system investments.
Working with Researchers:
- Provide guidance, support, training and advice in Research IT systems to JAX scientists.
- Investigate application issues, document findings: communicate with scientists to answer questions, troubleshoot problems and develop appropriate computational strategies to process and analyze their data.
- Work closely with scientists to ensure that applications and Research IT services are current, appropriate and sufficient to serve their needs.
- Install and update scientific applications in the Research IT environment, document system changes, write and maintain documentation for end users.
- Develop and deliver training programs, tutorials and workshops for scientists on the optimal use of IT resources in their research projects.
- Research and evaluate new products and services for applicability to in-house needs. Stay current with new trends and emerging information technologies and informatics tools, advocate for and lead the adoption of these technologies at JAX.
- Assist in preparation for submitting grant proposals.
Working with IT:
- Consult and collaborate with IT coworkers to determine best system configurations for applications.
- Based on the scientific needs of the community, identify and recommend innovative solutions, and integrated proposals for server, storage, and network systems, including hardware and software acquisition, installation and administration.
- Provide technical support internally and to external vendors including problem resolution for complex systems and storage solutions.
- Help integrate IT resources with laboratory equipment, such as DNA sequencers and microscopes.
- Set up and maintain scientific computing clusters and their associated batch scheduling systems, such as SGE or PBS.
- Benchmark application and workflow performance and determine areas for improved efficiencies.
- Able to work both independently and as part of a team
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Sense of urgency and ability to solve problems in a timely manner
- Technical authority in area of specialty on assigned projects
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with scientists at all levels
- Excellent communication (verbal/written) and presentation skills
- PhD in life/natural sciences with 3 years' experience in clinical genomic data processing and analysis; OR an equivalent combination of proven education/training/knowledge/experience at a research-focused organization
- Clinical Genomics background; hands-on experience with a broad spectrum of genomics and bioinformatics applications and next-generation sequence data collection, processing, and analysis, as applied in a clinical setup cognizant of PHI/PII data
- Proficient in large dataset analysis in a related scientific discipline such as biology, biomedical informatics, Pharma, or clinical research
- Knowledge of and experience with regulations pertinent to a clinical compliance such as HIPAA, HITECH, and CLIA
- Strong technical knowledge of research computing system architecture, hardware components and software stack
- Expertise with Unix/Linux systems, shell scripting, C/C++ programming, Python/Perl and other relevant tools
- Experience with building, installing, configuring and supporting a wide range of commercial, open-source, and in-house developed scientific applications such as: Matlab, R, SAS, STATA, MySQL
- Familiar with Cloud computing and storage infrastructure (e.g. AWS, EC2, Google, Azure)
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS: Please include a cover letter along with your resume/CV. Applications without cover letters will not be considered.
MORE ABOUT JAX
JAX began in 1929 with a small group of scientists dedicated to the emerging field of genetics. We now have over 1700 scientists, technicians, and support staff, including over 50 Principle Investigators in five primary disease areas: cancer, reproductive biology, immunology, metabolic processes and neuroscience. Our fundamental contributions to biomedical research include cancer genetics and establishing the mouse as the premier research animal model.
- Uncover more of our historic milestones, including the 26 Nobel prizes associated with our research, resources, and education
- Read our latest news & insights for a glimpse at how we're impacting the future of biomedicine
- Follow the progress we're making on our quest to improve human health via our recent research highlights
EEO: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.Company Description Leading the search for tomorrow's cures. Learn